Thursday, June 25, 2015

Hourglass Liquid Lipstick - Canvas

Hello again readers!
I'm not really one for lip products, I'm always hoping that I'll find a product that I love so much that I can't get enough of them (NYX Butter Glosses are a great example of this!) so I'm always willing to dip my toes into the next pool of lip products.

Today I bring you the Hourglass The Indestructable Matte Liquid Lipstick in Canvas.


I picked it up from the travel section, because $28 for a full-size (.10 oz) just didn't seem to fit my budget, especially if I wasn't going to be over the moon with it. $10 (.03 oz) was a much more comfortable fit (even if it's still really expensive, especially for such a tiny container!).


The Liquid Lipstick comes in a container with a cool-toned metallic casing, with a small clear plastic window to see the product inside. The other travel-sized liquid lipstick, Iconic, the classic red, comes in a warm-toned metallic casing. In the full-size, I believe they are all cool-toned metallic casings.


It's so unbelievably tiny though! It's the length of my pinky, and just fits so comfortably in my hand. Hard to believe how expensive it is, but that's what we're working with. 

I'm not sure why there's a line in the product (maybe because of the thickness of the formula, or perhaps it's drying out?) but I have tried to get it seamless, and it's just not going to happen any time soon.


The only way to know the name of this product, is a sticker on the back. That within opening was already sort of loose, and over time I see this falling right off. I'm not sure how the bigger ones are labeled, but this is ridiculous. For a product I spent ten dollars on, to have just a sticker that will come off easily is not a good thing. There are only two small-sizes, and they're  not hard to tell apart, but if you have a lot of lip colors the name of them might escape you, and having to stop and look it up is exhausting. 


The applicator is a long, skinny applicator, with a flexible head. I don't like that it's flexible, because it makes applying the product a little bit harder, and it seems almost too flexible, like it's going to break off the more I use it. It hasn't happened yet, but I can see it being only a matter of time...


The color of Canvas is just so perfect. It's a dusty rose pink, and I fell in love with the color. IT goes on a little thick, and sometimes there are... chunks? It's strange, but they brush away and I don't mind it too much.

The product dries down to a matte finish, and then it just gets to be a little troublesome. It flakes and pulls as the time goes on, because it dries down to be a little sticky. It's kind of like a vinyl lip product, where it has a bit of a plastic feeling (at least for me!) and I was a little surprised. I took it off, and reapplied if I was out at night, or for events like Christmas, or Easter.

I like the look, but the product just doesn't do it for me. I'm going to continue to use it, because I like the color, but I'm disappointed in the formula. Hourglass I always looked to to be a very prestigious, high-end brand that would deliver flawless makeup. It hasn't delivered for me so far, and it's a little bit of a let down.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment