Saturday, July 19, 2014

NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil VS Jordana 12 Hour Made to Last Eyeshadow Pencil

Hello again readers!

So I have been sitting on this post for a while, and I'm sorry to say, but there are SO many posts that have been hiding in my computer... They're hidden in folders, inside of folders, inside of folders, so I'm going to do my best to bring them to the light.

I have been trying out more jumbo eye pencils, because I really like the versatility they provide, plus they can really pump up an otherwise dull/boring eye look. I have duplicates in colours, but I wanted to really compare the colours and the formulas, to see which is the better buy.


NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils have been around for a long time. They're easy to apply, easy to blend out, and are easy enough to come by. They are $4.50 a piece, and you get 0.18 oz of product per pencil, plus you have SO many colours to choose from! Though, you DO have to set these with an eyeshadow, and even then, they might crease on you (if you have oily lids make sure you wear a primer!)

Jordana 12 Hour Made to Last Eyeshadow Pencils come in a far more limited selection (8, to be exact). They are also easy to apply, to blend out, and are easy to come by (my favourite choices to shop for these products are Walgreens and KMart!). They have the added benefit of staying for the entire day, as once they set, they are SET.  They are $4 a piece, and you get 0.10 oz of product. So, you get .08 oz less than the competitor.

Black  Bean VS Stay-On-Black

Black Bean was really hard to get even close to opaque. I kept applying, and applying... and applying, and I didn't get much payoff for my efforts.

Stay-On-Black applied really well, and with a few strokes I managed to get it fully opaque.


 I applied my dark green eyeshadow from Forever 21, since it's a colour that doesn't have good colour payoff on it's own. I applied it both over Black Bean and Stay-On-Black.

The real winner in this sceanario, is Stay-On-Black, hands down. It's cheaper, it doesn't budge, it's more opaque, and it brings out the colour of cheap eyeshadows more than Black Bean.

Milk VS Eternal White

These were a bit more evenly matched.

Milk was very creamy, and applied well. Though I have to worry about creasing with this product, the white was opaque and applied well. This blends out nicely, and creates a nice base for your shadow.

Eternal White has a drier formula, and though it lasts longer, I have to put more effort into applying it. It blends out nicely, and I do not have to worry about creasing with this product.


For layering, I used a light pink shade in one of my ELF eyeshadow books. The pink on it's own isn't much, but layered over white you really get more out of it.

Milk, since it's a creamier formula, really picks up the powder, helping it to adhere.

Eternal White is a little harder to work with, but you an end up with the same look, it just takes more effort.

I give this a tie, because they both have pros, and they both have cons, and it's really up to you which one is worth your time/money/effort over the other.

--

Really, at the end of it, why not try both? See what really works for you. I prefer the Jordana pencils, but they have nothing on the colour selection that NYX offers. If you like plain neutrals, or you just want to try it out, spring for Jordana, and they also offer blue, frosty pink, violet and green glitters. 

If you want a broader colour selection, and you want to go crazy trying some different colours, then go for the NYX. There's only a 50 cent difference, so you're not saving too much or splurging too much no matter what you pick. :)

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. This post reminds me of the time I was buying some NYX white eyeliner and the Jordana lady tried so hard to make me buy the Jordana one instead. It's interesting to know that they're pretty similar. I might still go for NYX though. I don't really wear black bases too often.

    gingercatqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little surprised by the black, but pleased with the whites. They're similar enough that you don't need both, and NYX has SO many more colours to choose from to create really amazing looks. Plus, if you buy at Ulta, it's almost always buy 1 get one 50% off of NYX, so it works out to be cheaper. :)

      Delete