Friday, April 8, 2016

Garnier Micellar Water - Regular and Waterproof

Hello again readers!

My amazing mate in England, Jess, sent me so many goodies a while back, and I've been pleased to work with them. Tea, lipsticks, palettes, and of course she sent me a travel-sized version of the Garnier Micellar water... only to find out after it got here that they were launched in the US! Ah, what luck, right? It was good though, because I was able to try out the pink, and I went out to buy the blue-capped version too, so now I can come to you with my thoughts on the products.


The bottles are a rather odd shape. They're not like traditional bottles, more like oval shaped. It makes it a little harder to store than I'd like, but I found ways around it. The travel-sized bottle fits perfectly into my medicine cabinet, but the full-size bottle doesn't. It's just too high. I found another place for it, but it's a little bit of an inconvenience that I have to put it under my sink or into my little tray on my sink to store it.

They come in two varieties; the pink cap, and the blue cap. The difference, is that the blue cap is used for the easy removal of waterproof products as well as non-waterproof. So, take that in mind if you're interested in trying these out.

You need to shake both before use, but the blue version you have to shake far more to mix up the two different components.

They're supposed to be in place of makeup removal and cleansing, but I do not recommend skipping out on cleansing your skin. I recommend that you use these for easy makeup removal, and then wash your face anyway knowing that your skin is as prepped for proper cleansing as possible.


The caps are pretty ingenious, if I say so myself. They close firmly, but they also have a plastic tab that sticks out of the top, that pushes into the opening to stop ALL liquids from leaking. I was really impressed, as I had my thoughts that surely, it wouldn't keep all liquids from coming out, but I threw it in my overnight bag, jumped, dropped the bag, tossed it around while moving around my friend's place, and nothing came out at all! I was really impressed with this feature, as I can safely travel with it without worrying about the cap popping off and leaking all over my stuff.


Now, the best parts about these, is that they're for your ENTIRE face. You can remove your eye makeup, your face makeup, and the makeup from your lips with just one product – no need to switch between products to get the results that you want. It's such a good bargain.

Now, I can go on and on about how amazing these are, but it won't mean anything unless I show you, right?

I had an assortment of products to try out: eyeliner, long-lasting eye shadow, foundation, and liquid lipsticks to give them a good go. I didn't think it'd be fair to put these up against powder products because even shitty makeup removers manage to remove powders.

The products I chose for the demonstration are:

NYX Mousse Liner – Epic Black
NYX Tres Jolie Gel Pencil Liner – Pitch Black
Maybelline Color Tattoo – Bad to the Bronze
Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Eyeshadow Stick – Tantalizing Taupe
L'Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation – 101 Classic Ivory
ColourPop Ultra Matte Liquid Lipstick – Mr. Blonde
Kat Von D Everlasting Love Liquid Lipstick – Witches


On the left, I'm using the Blue version, and on the right, the Pink version. To remove the products, I did NOT rub my skin hard. I lightly moved the saturated cotton pad with the appropriate version of the cleansing water, and gently moved it over my skin to break down the makeup after holding it to the makeup for a few seconds.


The Blue version removed everything with ease, only leaving a bit of a stain left behind from the eyeliner. I was really impressed with how easy it took the products off, and it didn't require any harsh rubbing to get the results that I want.

The downside of the Blue version, is that it NEEDS to be shaken up before use, as it has a two-step method compared to the pink, and needs more TLC before even using it, and you have to shake it BETWEEN cotton pads, as it separates easily. It also leaves a bit of residue (it says it's oil-free, but perhaps a conditioning residue?) on the skin, so I definitely feel like I have to wash my face after use.

-----

The Pink version removed everything, but the Tres Jolie pencil, Mr. Blonde, and just a little bit of Witches. I could have removed more if I rubbed harder, but the point of this experiment is to show what they can do with minimal effort put forward. This version also leaves my skin feeling the cleanest after use, and on days where I'm just too zombified to go on, I would use this and some astringent/toner and just pass out. It's not as good as removing your makeup and then washing your face, but it's better than doing nothing at all.

The downside of the Pink version, is that it doesn't remove waterproof, or even water-resistant makeup easily. It can be done, but it takes far more effort than reaching for the Blue version.

The best part of the Pink version, is if you're someone who needs to, or feels the need to wear makeup in your daily life, but by the end of the day you're too tired (due to fatigue, mental illness, etc.) that the pink cap is perfect to have sitting on your nightstand, so even if you can't bring yourself to walk off to the bathroom to take off your makeup and wash your face, you can still do both without wasting more energy. You CAN just use this to do both, as it's definitely better than nothing. Hell, if you're just plain lazy, you can do the same thing.

-----

Really, I love both of these for different reasons, and both are worth the money. Depending on your preferences, you'd need to choose which one makes a better option for yourself, but I don't think you'll be disappointed in the products at all. I think they're a fantastic addition to any collection, and I'm so pleased that they're now readily available in the US.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment