Friday, April 15, 2016

MUA Lip Colors

Hello again readers!

I wanted to talk about the rest of the goodies that my mate Jess sent over. I was so incredibly thankful that she took the time to hunt down the MUA lip products that I wanted to try, in the shades that I figured would work for me. All of that effort for little old me, I was moved to giggles because I was just so excited to tear into the packaging and try them out for myself. Some I loved, some where okay, so let's dig in, shall we?

-----

PowerPout Acrylic in Wondrous

The first in the line up is the MUA PowerPout Acrylic in Wondrous. Now the packaging is sort of strange in a way. Instead of a typical round container, it's more like a rectangular shape. I don't mind it, but unless I'm keeping it one of my insert storage containers, it makes it a little bit of a hassle to store. It's just a little strange, but not a huge deal. It's not the outside that counts, but the inside ... right?


The product uses a typical doe foot applicator. I really like this method (because let's be honest, sometimes a doe-foot just doesn't do the product justice as it can wipe off product you just laid down) for this formula, since the formula is rather pigmented and almost a wet consistency.


The color is one of those nudes that I really love; a warm toned beige pink. I can't get enough of this shade (as most of the shades I chose to try are almost the same, just different formulas!) so it wasn't a disappointment. It applied evenly in one go, and spread over the lips without any issues at all.

The formula was really nice. I was expecting this lipstick to slide all over my lips, leave the lip line, and just become a big ol' mess, but that never happened. True, it transferred if I drank something, and would smear off if I ate, but just from general wear and tear it wasn't bad at all. It faded evenly, and wore for about two hours before I noticed that it wore down significantly. For a lipstick that's such a creamy formula, I was expecting it to fade within an hour. Major props for this one.

The product smells like cake ... a chemical cake. It has a scent like pefume meets a bakery. It's not an offensive smell, and I rather like it, but it's not like a pure cake scent (like how the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams smell like cake). It's one of those things that I like that they at least tried to make it smell sweet instead of minty (which is my #1 hate for lip products).

The MUA PowerPout Acrylic retails for £3.50 (about $5) for .16 oz, and I suggest picking one up and giving it a try.

-----

MUA Luxe Metallic Liquid Lipstick in Luster

Luster was the wildcard. I didn't have anything else like it in my collection, and it was just so much fun that I had to have it! The lipstick is packaged in a square container with a gunmetal grey metallic lid. It's very "luxe" and looks really expensive, which I like.


The applicator is a standard doe foot, though I'm curious how it'd look if it was applied with a brush applicator instead.



Lustre is a very beautiful neutral metallic shade. It has a bit of silver and taupe in it, making it a very unique shade. It really reminds me of the frosty/metallic lipsticks from the 90's! Really stoked to have this in my collection.

I wore this out when I saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and while it didn't last through the entire movie (well, some of it did), it got me to the theater and to my seat without any issue. I find that this lasts me about 2 hours before I need to reapply, but when it starts fading it's not the most unattractive look (compared to a matte lipstick where if you get inner lip wear, it's really noticeable!) ever, and it's easy to add another layer and go on with my life.

The formula was nice but strange. It applied to the lips easily, and has a slick formula. The weird part about this formula, is that it's in the middle of sheer, and opaque. You can wear this on it's own, and you can see a bit of your natural lip color peaking through when you shift the angle of your face, or you can layer it over other lipsticks for different looks. It can go both ways, and it's excellent.

The scent of this one (perhaps because of the pigment) smelled far less like cake, and far more like chemicals. I don't notice the smell of this one when it's worn on the lips, but that's something to note.

This lipstick retails for £4 (about $5.70) for .23 oz, and I'd recommend this if you liked strange lip colors. I know I'm interested in a couple other shades from this range.

-----

MUA Luxe Whipped Velvet in Spry

I haven't heard many reviews of this, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Would it be matte? Satin? Semi-matte? Who knew! I was just excited to put it all over my lips. This product has a more traditional liquid lipstick packaging, with just a round tube. Easy to store and display.


The applicator is a standard doe foot. I like it for this formula, because honestly if it was a brush, it'd be too overwhelming.


Spry is a warm beige pink nude. When I first swatched this product, I was sure I would hate it. It applied streaky and sheer, and I was so confident that it would be a product I'd try out, and then would never touch again. I was so, SO wrong. This product is sheer, yes, but in such a good way that just works. It adds just the right amount of color to the lips without being overwhelming, and it looks natural. It looks like I'm barely wearing any lipstick at all, it just evens the tones in my lips and makes them look healthy and alive (whereas sometimes my lips are really pale because blood doesn't always want to pump through them properly).

It dries down to a very satin finish, looking more like my actual lips than makeup. On top of that it lasts for about four hours, as long as I don't eat or drink anything. The formula will transfer if it comes into contact with anything!

The formula for this lipstick also smells like cake, which is a good thing for someone like me who prefers sweet scents to their lip products!

This product retails for £3 (about $4.30) for .20 oz, and I'd recommend this product in a heartbeat. 

-----

MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Laquer in Tranquility

I was really excited for this one, because I've heard good things about the Velvet Lip Laquers. I picked Tranquility, because I knew I'd at least like the color, if I ended up disliking the formula. The packaging is a standard tube, with a frosted plastic finish and a metallic gold cap. Now this one too, looks luxurious.


This product also has a standard doe foot applicator.



Tranquility is a beige pink neutral shade, that dries down to a completely matte finish. Depending on how much product you apply, will affect the amount of time it will take to dry. The formula has a liquid consistency, making it easy to get a nice, even application all over the lips before it starts to set.

This color wasn't a good choice, in my opinion. It looks nice on me, but it's very light, so you can see every line on the lips. It doesn't seem so bad, but this formula is incredibly drying, so you will have a large amount of lip lines that are incredibly noticeable on such a light formula. Did I mention these were drying? Even on me, I found that these could be uncomfortable at times, and I think the ColourPop formula isn't drying! So if you find yourself dreading wearing a ColourPop liquid lipstick, stay far away from this one. I always moisturize before, and after wearing this lipstick.

This product has a stranger scent than the others, not like cake at all, rather it's more fruity. You can kind of smell it if you're doing a duck-lips pose where your upper lip is close to your nose soon after applying, but otherwise I don't smell this at all. It doesn't really linger.

Tranquility retails for £3 (about 4.30) for ... well, to be honest I have no idea how much product you get. I've checked the site, and they don't have it listed. I wouldn't recommend this shade because of the issues I had. I do however want to try a few other shades from this range, so I think I'll give a couple others a try and see how I like them.


-----

Overall, I like all of them. Do I love them all? No, I only really love two of them (Lustre and Spry), but they're all worth a try. They're great quality lipsticks, for a great price! I'm really happy with what Jess sent me, she's a goddess!

Thank you so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment