Monday, February 11, 2013

E.L.F. 10 Piece Brush Set - Review

Hello again readers~

Second portion to my tool review. :) I'm going from the worst brushes of the bunch, to the best, with one neutral thrown in there.

E.L.F. 10 Piece Brush Set:


 Total Face Brush:


I use this brush to either apply powder foundation, setting powder, or for lightly dusting off excess product.  It smells weird, even after washing a few times, either from the bristles or the dye used on them. The bristles fall out (shown in photo even after I preened the brush) and are scratchy. I wish the brush was a lot softer...

Rating: 3
 
Blush Brush:


I use this brush to apply bronzer, blush, or highlighter to my face. It has the same issues as the Total Face Brush: scratchy, smelly, and just not what I want in a brush. With this brush, I can visually see how it applies blush, and though it applies the powder well, it doesn't blend it as well as I would like it to.

Rating: 3

 Foundation Brush:

 

I use this brush primarily for moisturizer. The bristles of this brush were a lot softer, but they were also stiff. It leaves my liquid foundation looking streaky and not blended in well at all. Horrible for foundation, but well enough for moisturizer.

Rating: 2

 Lip Defining Brush:

 

 A brush for lip colour application. This brush is incredibly soft, probably too soft. The bristles fall out, and I didn't notice anything amazing about how it applied lip colour. I actually don't use this brush at all after my initial testing.

 Rating: 1

Brow Comb and Brush:


A standard brow comb and brush. I wasn't wowed with it, and I have another one just like it. Works just as well as the one I got in a set at Claire's, and I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't come in the set.

Rating: 4

Concealer Brush:


A brush for applying and blending out concealer. I really like this, it's small enough to get super small spots, but it also is small to apply the product precisely. The bristles are soft, and doesn't irritate my face. Though, this has a similar problem as the foundation brush where it doesn't blend too well, but I apply my foundation after concealer so it's not a big problem.

Rating: 4

Eyelash and Brow Wand:


Basically: a little spooly. Also not something I would have bought if it wasn't included, but I like how easy it is to brush through my eyebrows to make them looking neat and uniform. It's surprisingly useful.

Rating: 4

 Eyeshadow Brush:


 An all-over colour brush for eye shadows. It's soft, picks up pigments well, and applies a soft, even coverage of eyeshadow all over my eyelid. It's something everyone should have at least one of.

Rating: 5

 Smudge Eye Sponge:


 Used to create a sultry smokey look. It does exactly as it's supposed to. It smudges my eyeliner out beautifully, making it both sultry, and softer.

Rating: 5

Eye Liner Brush:

 

 A brush for eyeliner. I only use to tight-line at my lash line. It applies my gel liners so beautifully, instantly making me look wide-awake, attentive, and full of energy, but without going overboard. It's very easy to get the look I want, without hassle.

Rating: 5


Overall: 3/5

I really only truly loved 4 out of the ten, even if I use more brushes from the set. Was it worth it? In a way yes, and in a way no. I'm glad I got the opportunity to try different brushes, but I also could have bought the individual ones that would have worked better for me, and now I have duplicates of brushes I don't even like.

Some brushes are better than others, but keep in mind that individually, they're a dollar. For that price, you really can't beat it.

Thanks for reading~

No comments:

Post a Comment