Thursday, November 6, 2014

Happy Halloween

Hello again readers!

This is almost an entire week late! Yikes! 

This year I decided to up the scare factor and try something completely new... Usually it's just latex and some tissue paper, but this year I went and molded some pieces to use. It ended up working really well!

All applications were done with cotton balls, toilet paper, liquid latex (low grade clear), red food coloring, $1 eyeshadow palettes, polymer clay, acrylic nails, acrylic paint, and a hair dryer. 

This was something I didn't know if it would work or not... I just threw it on more or less and it took about a half hour to apply, paint, and look remotely okay. I think it would have been more effective if I would have added skin flaps, but I was really pleased with it. Subtle, but added a nice touch.

I was incredibly impressed with this one, it was quite an achievement. I molded the jaw too thick, and it was relatively heavy... I thought for sure that it wouldn't end up working out. Luckily I had pre-made latex sheets that I cut up to apply this prosthetic. It held together pretty dang well, and it ended up looking pretty choice. 

With an unforeseen effect, the latex loosened on just one side of the prosthetic, so walking around the neighborhood my jaw would randomly fall out of the site, and just hang there. It was especially cool when I would be talking, and the movement of my real jaw caused my fake one to fall out.

If I could change anything, it would be to have made the jaw thinner, and then add more darkness on my real lower jaw, since in some angles you can see it poking through, when it should look like it got blown off (obviously it really didn't).

Stay spooky!

No comments:

Post a Comment